RECIPE | Coconut Slices7/23/2016 11:10:00 am
We love a good home bake in our family, and now that we're off on holiday we've started to have a baking day each week. Even with regular baking, none of the food ever lasts - and we're finished within a couple of days.. I'm taking it as a compliment that they're just that good.
So, in need of a new recipe to tingle those taste buds, we thought we'd try out a recipe for coconut slices that we tried years ago and seem to have forgotten about. But believe me, they will never be forgotten again. Within minutes of the first slice being cut, my dad had already eaten 4 squares. They're extremely moreish, light enough to eat a couple in a row, but filling enough to act as a mid morning or afternoon snack.
- 100g of butter
- 100g of plain flour
- 100g of caster sugar
- 85g desiccated coconut
- 3 egg yolks (but save the whites for later)
- 5 tablespoons of jam (flavour of your picking)
- 3 egg whites
- 75g white caster sugar
- 50g desiccated coconut
- Preheat the oven to 180C and grease a traybake tin with grease proof paper.
- For the base - add flour, sugar and coconut into a bowl and mix together. Then rub the butter together with the ingredients to make crumbs.
- Stir in the egg yolks, then mix it all together (I use my hands) into a dough.
- Evenly spread the mixture across the tin then spoon on and spread the jam over.
- For the top half - whisk the egg whites till they are stiff, using an electric hand whisk. This takes a little while so be prepared for a sore arm!
- Add the sugar, and the coconut and mix.
- Spread this over the jam layer and add some extra coconut flakes on top to finish.
- Pop it in the oven for 30 minutes (until it is golden) then take out and leave to cool.
Check out some of my other recipes:
Banana Bread (I use this one so often!)
Bacon & Veg Pasta Bake
The Best EVER Chocolate Cake
EASY Cookies (Yes these were Christmas ones, but the recipe works for any time of the year!)