Happier & Healthier| Bacon and Vegetable Pasta Bake3/03/2015 05:17:00 pm
For this weeks themed post, I thought I'd share another recipe. This one I tried out the other day, and I couldn't believe how well it turned out. I honestly think this is the best meal I've ever made - certainly better than the standard student meals that I've prepared over the last couple of years.
The pasta bake is super easy- you just need to keep an eye on a few pots at a time. And it really doesn't take too long either; within an hour you'll be plating up and tucking in.
5 Rashers of Bacon
100g of Cheddar Cheese
2 Slices of Bread
For the sauce:
50g of Butter
50g of Plain Flour
700ml of Milk
200g of Cheddar Cheese
- Start by boiling a pan of water and putting the pasta in, seasoning to your liking.
- After chopping the onion, pepper and bacon into small chunks, throw them in a frying pan with some vegetable oil and let them fry.
- At the same time, make the cheese sauce by melting the butter in a pan. Once melted, add the flour and stir, until it looks like a paste. Slowly add small volumes of milk at a time, off the heat and continually stirring the mixture. Once the sauce looks smooth, add the cheese while continuing to whisk it all together.
- 5 minutes before the pasta is ready, add the broccoli, cut into small flourets to the same pan.
- Once all the pans are cooked, add the pasta, broccoli into a large dish, then mix in the vegetables & bacon. Add the cheese sauce to the pan and mix it all up.
- Finally, sprinkle bread crumbs over the top of the mixture, and grate some cheese over too.
- Cook in the oven (preheated to 200 degrees C) for 25 minutes.
- And serve!